Block Build Fall 2016 Top Five
In a time when fear is dominating and divisiveness is stirring hatred, events like Block Build, events that unite us around a common goal and shared vision, could not be more important. That’s why we want to say thank you for making it happen and relive some of our favorite moments from this beautiful day at 120th and Normal ave.
5. Two of our favorite CAPS officers bringing out candy to give our volunteers a little sugar rush (we think they should take credit for the collection of 10x as much yard debris we anticipated, right?)
4. Nearly 600 free weatherization kits were handed out to Chicago families. That means 600 households are keeping warm and saving money this winter.
3. These essential words from the Tharpe family, one of our five Block Build partner families, "We believe in our neighbors. We know little things can lead to big change. That's why we are involved with Block Build today. It's a chance to take on some of the abandoned lots on Normal Ave. and invigorate our community.”
2. 100 volunteers rallied together to complete every task they were charged with—completing critical exterior repairs on 5 homes and cleaning up six vacant lots.
1. West Pullman is stronger. Our city is stronger. And we did it together.
This remarkable day would not have been possible without Lowe’s and the Lowe’s Heroes. As part of a larger commitment to build or repair 1,000 homes by the end of 2016, Lowe’s contributed $95,000 to ensure that Chicago homeowners have a warm place to call home for the holidays. Thank you is not enough for this exceptional partnership.
In case you missed it…
Maggie Carlo and her WGN-TV team spent their day learning the real stories of West Pullman and getting the word out about the weatherization kits. Check it out here.