NEIGHBORHOOD GRANTS INITIATIVE OVERVIEW
We’re guessing the answer is yes, and that’s good news because as a West Pullman, Greater Grand Crossing, or Austin resident, you may be able to bring your ideas to life with a Neighborhood Grant from Habitat Chicago.
This small-grants program awards direct funding to resident-led projects in West Pullman, Greater Grand Crossing, and Austin; you dream up the idea, recruit your neighbors, and we’ll fund it.
We think it’s important that projects enhance the look and feel of your neighborhood, but even more importantly, that you and your neighbors get to connect and envision your community’s future while carrying out your project. So, we're leaving the ideas up to you! After all, you know your neighborhood best.
Project proposals can be simple and straight-forward, or creative and out-of-the-box. Curious to see what kind of projects your neighbors have done in the past? Check out some of the projects that have received funding through the Neighborhood Grants Initiative.
- Get ready to apply by reading our Eligibility Requirements and Application Instructions. Once you have your project group and a project idea established, submit an application through our online submission page at least 45 days before you require funding.
- After you apply, Habitat Chicago will review your application and communicate a decision to you within 10 business days.
- If your application is approved for funding, you and your project group members will set up a kickoff meeting with Habitat Chicago and sign a Grant Acceptance Agreement. Once you’ve launched your project, Habitat Chicago will deliver 80% of approved funding to your group.
Individual Project Execution Periods
- Once you’ve completed the initiation step, you will begin executing your project according to the timeline and budget you submitted with your application. Typical projects can take anywhere from 2-6 months to complete, depending on their complexity.
Project Closure and Final Reports Due
- After you’ve completed your project, you will submit a final report to Habitat Chicago, including a final expense report and all correlating receipts. Once Habitat Chicago has reviewed and verified your report, we will deliver the final 20% payment as a reimbursement.
Grant award amounts
Individual projects can fall into two tiers. The first tier of funding is up to $2,500 and includes projects like block parties, small beatification activities, and back to school drives. The second tier of funding is between $2,501-$5,000 and includes projects such as youth mentorship programs, community events and festivals, and educational workshops. These examples are not exhaustive and only serve as a guide to help you figure out which tier your project might fall under. The number of projects funded each year will depend on the quantity and scope of project applications we receive.
If your project takes place in West Pullman, Greater Grand Crossing, or Austin and plans to positively impact the physical and/or social aspects of the neighborhood, it may be eligible for a Neighborhood Grant. Visit our Eligibility and Requirements page for more detailed information.
What are past participants saying?
“This grant program has awakened my spirit of community again” – Project Curb Appeal
“This grants program has one of the most publicly accessible, flexible, and quickest turnaround processes I’ve ever seen” – Project Grow Together Grow the Harvest
“These grants breathed life back into us to continue doing the work that we set out to do" – Project One Community Many Faces
If you are a new applicant, we highly recommend you get started by attending one of our virtual information sessions. You can find and register for an upcoming session on our events page. You can also get familiar with the program by reading through our Eligibility Requirements and Application Instructions webpages.
If you'd like to stay updated on the Neighborhood Grants Initiative, sign up for our program’s Interest List. Once you’re signed up, we will send you periodic application tips and reminders, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
You can find answers to some of the most commonly asked questions by visiting our Frequently Asked Questions page. If you still have questions after reviewing our FAQs, or if you would like to talk with us about your project idea and application, please reach out to us! We would love to hear from you.
Phone: (312)-563-0296 x313